Old June 6th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Great Memories of the Wonderful Voice of... Ira Blue & KGO [Was :Radio's Obituary]

On Jun 5, 6:41*pm, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"Tex" wrote in message

I long for the "good ole days" when I could traverse the am dial and
listen to a different talk show host on nearly every frequency. Even
as a youngster I was familiar with the hot issues of the day in every
city I could pick up on my radio - Omaha, Chicago, St. Louis, San
Antonio, *Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas
City, Denver and whatever other signal I could nab during the night.

Thanks to Herb Jepco, Jim White, Jack Wheeler, John Cigna, Bill Barker
and myriads of others whose names have been forgotten I felt that I
had a friend in all those cities. And you would become so familiar
with the regular callers that you would worry about them if they
hadn't called for awhile.

I miss Herb Jepco, and his predecessor, Ira Blue, and the rest of the great
KGO talkers.. along with the greats from KSL. I spent many a night listening
to those folks back in a day when everyone had a chance to have their say,
not just the hand-picked few, and things were a lot more even-handed and
sane.

Great Memories of the Wonderful Voice of... Ira Blue
on KGO-AM 810 kHz Radio from San Francisco, CA
IRA BLUE = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Blue
http://www.answers.com/Ira+Blue?cat=entertainment
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/archive/irca/msg42396.html
http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=97682.50
http://pdxradio.net/feedback/message...tml?1013865224
MUSIC = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_in_Blue
SOUND = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiyc9Ak3EtQ

Celebrating The Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame Class of 2006
LISTEN TO - Ira Blue on KGO, San Francisco
http://www.bayarearadio.org/hof/2006_barhof.shtml
CLASS OF 2006 - MODERN ERA - IRA BLUE*
* Ira Blue - A staple of KQW, KNBC and KGO as a
Sportscaster from the 1940s, he also helped pioneer
KGO's usher in nascent Talk Show Format with his
Eclectic Broadcasts from the Hungry I in San Francisco.

yes - i hear voices in the night... on the radio ~ RHF