Old June 7th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Smokey Smokey is offline

Default HQ-145/Worth Recapping?

Bob,

Take it from someone WHO KNOWS...

RECAP YOUR HQ-145 - even if it only has the one can.

I carelessly took the lazy way out on a similar piece. If and when the cap
finally shorts you may not even have enough time to jump from the chair to
grab the power cord out from the wall before the transformer is fried to a
crisp.

It's awfully cheap insurance. And, by the way...make sure you fuse the
HQ-145 BUT DON'T DEPEND ON IT FOR PROTECTION. Mine was fused, too and the
fuse didn't pop until the moment that I removed the plug from the
wall.Fusing only ensures that power will be removed eventually...NOT that
the transformer will be protected from total damage.

Smokey