Old November 11th 03, 05:27 PM
Jim Kelley

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Jim, it sounds like you're firmly in the camp that believes that a phase
and/or magnitude shift will occur from one terminal to the other of a
physically very small inductor.

Physically very small.........what is that? Is it an inductor that behaves
as if it has no physical dimensions? Does it comprise a coil of wire that
has zero length?

Perhaps you can also propose an inductor I can put at
the base of a short antenna that would guarantee a large phase shift
which would be large and easily seen in a measurement.

How about if I just refer you to one of the many manufacturers of such
things?

73, Jim AC6XG

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jim Kelley wrote:
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

I did read what you said. You said that it wouldn't exhibit a phase
shift if placed at a current maximum. The current at the base of a short
vertical antenna is at its maximum there. So now if you're saying that
it *won't* exhibit a phase shift if placed at the base of a short
antenna, let's try this.

Naturally, the inductance of the coil and the resistance of the circuit
determine how much of a phase shift there will be. But the amount of
resulting change in current magnitude will depend on where on the cosine
curve this shift occurs. A 10 degree phase shift from 40 to 50 degrees
generates almost an order of magnitude greater change in current that it
does shifting from 0 to 10 degrees. Obviously, the closer the center

of
the coil is to zero (or 180) degrees, the smaller the resulting

differential
in current across the coil.

73, Jim AC6XG