Old June 9th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default HQ-145/Worth Recapping?

Carl WA1KPD wrote:
I repaired an HQ-145 that I picked up for a song. There was a bad RF choke
in it.
Anyway I decided not to touch the caps- why fix it if it aint broke and like
Colin I have a long list of radios to repair or build. It is one of the few
times I have never replaced the old PS caps in a restoration job.

I did not touch any discs, although I do replace all wax caps. I was
surprised that a spot check of resistors showed them all right on the money

Anyway 2 weeks after I get it all buttoned up the PS caps went. no damage
just a nice loud hum

Did you reform the electrolytic capacitors before you ran it for the 2 weeks,
or did you just plug it in and turn it on?

-Chuck