Old June 9th 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Andy[_5_] Andy[_5_] is offline

Default 80 Meter End Fed Eire

Hi Dale,

Does this only apply to 1/2 wave long end feds only?

Does this apply to any frequency?

The maximum space here is only 66 feet at best.

What options am I left with that would work for 80-40 meters?

I have a question about traps. I read yesterday that traps should not be
tuned to resonance of the wanted frequency. If I constructed a homebrew trap
for say 7.1 MHz.
How far away from this frequency should I tune the trap?

Should it be tuned higher or lower?

I did search the internet, but I could not find any info on whether its best
to setup the trap higher or lower than the wanted frequency and by how much.

Andy

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
I have just put up an 80 Meter End Fed Flexweave wire. Its about 63 feet
long and fed direct with 50 Ohm coax at the far end of the garden. The
shield is connected straight down to a ground earth stake at this point
and it is tuned for 3.700 MHz. It receives better than any thing I have
used so far, but it is very death on 40 meters. Almost unusable.

Is there a reason for this?

The antenna is only up at 20 feet and my old G5RV is only 6 feet off the
ground at the moment and receives far better on 40 meters than the End
Fed wire.

73 Andy

Yes there is- it's a half wave long on 40M which implies voltage feed and
a VSWR in the 60--80:1 range.

Dale W4OP