Old June 9th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Radioguy Radioguy is offline

Default (OT) Jim Mckay RIP

On Jun 9, 1:18*am, Tex wrote:
On Jun 7, 6:27 pm, m II wrote:

Give me a break. The owners wanted some quick prize money, so they ran
the animal on glued together hoof.

Your indignation about the treatment of animals is extremely
selective. Please harness your energy and end the annual Canadian seal
pup slaughter in which Canadians club the defenseless pups to death
for money.
The United States Humane Society has uncovered the following facts:

Canada's annual commercial seal hunt is the largest commercial hunt of
marine mammals on the planet. Facing harsh criticism the world over
because of the hunt's cruelty and unsustainability, the Canadian
government and fishing industry have spread much misinformation. Here
are the basic facts about the hunt.

Which Seals Are Targeted by Canada's Seal Hunt?

Harp seals are the primary target of the commercial seal hunt, and to
a much smaller extent, hooded seals are also killed. In 2006, 98
percent of the harp seals killed were pups under just three months of
age.

Where Are the Seals Killed?
Seals are killed primarily for their fur, which is used to produce
fashion garments and other items. There is a small market for seal oil
(both for industrial purposes and for human consumption), and seal
penises have been sold in Asian markets as an aphrodisiac. There is
almost no market for the meat, so seal carcasses are normally left to
rot on the ice.

Is the Seal Hunt Economically Important?

No.

Ever seen how chickens, fish, crabs, cows, pigs, sheep end up in nice
plastic wrapped packages at the supermarket? It's quite a process to
go from living critter to fillet. You should visit a feeding
operation, commercial fisher, slaughter house and packer for a real
eyeful. We are using animals for our purposes and it really doesn't
matter whether it is a cute fuzzy little fur seal, sleek dolphin, ugly
cod or rangy horse. They are all dead and the way they got to that
state is not pretty. Do we really need things like leather shoes and
meat? I think so.