Old June 9th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Andy[_5_] Andy[_5_] is offline

Default 80 Meter End Fed Eire

I have nothing here to measure the Q of the trap.

Is there another way of working out the correct frequency needed for the
trap?

The traps are made from RG58 C/U. I think these are a low Q but I'm not
sure.

Andy

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
I have a question about traps. I read yesterday that traps should not be
tuned to resonance of the wanted frequency. If I constructed a homebrew
trap for say 7.1 MHz. How far away from this frequency should I tune the
trap?

Should it be tuned higher or lower?

Tune it for lower than the operating frequency to
minimize trap losses. The point to shoot for is
the maximum inductive reactance point which is
at a lower frequency than the parallel resonant
resistance point. How much lower depends upon
the Q of the trap.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com