Old November 11th 03, 06:15 PM
Roy Lewallen

Jim Kelley wrote:
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

Jim, it sounds like you're firmly in the camp that believes that a phase
and/or magnitude shift will occur from one terminal to the other of a
physically very small inductor.

Physically very small.........what is that? Is it an inductor that behaves
as if it has no physical dimensions? Does it comprise a coil of wire that
has zero length?

Perhaps you can also propose an inductor I can put at
the base of a short antenna that would guarantee a large phase shift
which would be large and easily seen in a measurement.

How about if I just refer you to one of the many manufacturers of such
things?

73, Jim AC6XG

I was looking for a value, not a part number.

You've said that because the inductor I chose is something like 4%
larger than necessary to resonate the antenna, the magnitude and phase
shift from input to output would be very nearly zero (although the
reasoning is contrary to conventional electrical circuit theory, and I
don't follow it at all). So what I'm asking for is an inductor value
which would exhibit a large enough phase and/or magnitude shift that
would be easily seen in a measurement. I'll be constructing a more ideal
33 foot vertical in the near future, and making similar measurements at
3.8 MHz. So if its feedpoint impedance is, let's say, 35 - j370, what
would be the input to output current ratio (magnitude and phase) for a
physically very small base inductor of, say, +j300 ohms? If it's very
small, then pick an inductor value which would exhibit a substantial
inpututput current ratio.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL