Old June 13th 08, 08:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
Carter Carter is offline

Default Eye problems

Carter wrote:

I thought "decent recruits" were fading fast -- the military is now
accepting way lower test scores and those with criminal records. How
can they go any lower when they are already scraping the bottom of the
barrel?

exray wrote:

Don't be so quick to judge.

Are you familiar with the ASVAB tests? This isn't the quick hosedown
for recruitment that was prevalent during Vietnam. Maybe they are
lowering standards on the testing scores but "scraping the bottom of the
barrel" is a stretch.

I can say that because I have a 21-y/o here at home who wants to join
but quite frankly wasn't the best student in our mediocre educational
system and the ASVAB is quite the challenge for him. He's studying the
test like we studied SATs to get into college.

If we don't fix the basic educational system, fat chance we have of
getting decent recruits. Its not cannon-fodder they are looking for
like it used to be as recently as VietNam.

First, no disrespect to your son. I am 110% positive many great kids are
joining.

However, -broadly speaking-, the standards HAVE been lowered. Also, you
overlooked (ignored?) my comment about the crime issue. They ARE now
accepting people with NASTY criminal records. So, yes, at least
philosophically speaking (and with individual exceptions), I believe
they -are- scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Finally, and as a whole different issue, you and I are in complete
agreement: The educational system in this country is absolutely
horrible, a disgrace, one that may even lead to the downfall of this
country.

Just as a civilian observation, [snip]... Maybe, for once,
facilities in Puerto Rico are better than the mainland?

That could well be. However, and again -generally- speaking, Michael's
circumstances seem to be more the norm. First we promise our kids the
best treatment and care as inducement to get them to join up.
Unfortunately, the -general- reality is that the promises our kids
received are not met and our broken promises to them is a national disgrace.

Good luck to ya, Michael A.

I'll second that!