Old June 14th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins Guy Atkins is offline

Default cruising in my Bentley Continental GT

Hi John,

I enjoyed reading your comments on your classy new IC-7700!

Speaking of ECSS tuning with 2 khz filters, I have often thought that the
SDR receivers I have owned sound very good in ECSS with narrower bandwidths.
For comparison, you might like to listen to two MP3 files (recorded during
the same song).

The first is ECSS (I chose LSB) tuning of my local 1360 khz station (Spanish
lang.) with exactly a 2.0 khz bandwidth chosen:

http://www.guyatkins.com/files/sdr/p..._2khz_ecss.mp3

The 2nd recording, to compare to a fuller fidelity, Synchronous-AM mode at a
wide 12 kHz filter setting, is he

http://www.guyatkins.com/files/sdr/p...hz-sync-am.mp3

I think you'll agree that the 2 kHz wide recording is perfectly acceptable
in fidelity for DXing and even program listening if required in a situation
where interfering signals are close in frequency. The shape factor of the
filtering in the Perseus SDR is nearly textbook perfect at 1 to 1.1
(conservatively). I know your IC-7700 is similarly excellent in shape
factor.

The 12 kHz recording is quite a bit "fuller" sounding, with more upper
midrange in the voice and treble in the trumpets. On the spectrum display
for 1360 kHz, the station shows a modulation envelope slightly over 20 kHz
wide, but I note extremely little improvement in treble when I tune it with
a filter bandwidth greater than 12 kHz.

Best DX,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com

wrote in message
Having great fun cruising my new Bentley Continental GT. See:
http://www.bentleymotors.com/Corpora...spx?infid=1523

No, actually I have been cruising the airwaves with my new Icom
IC-7700 and having great fun. See:
http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7700/main.html
upgrading from my IC-756PROIII is like upgrading to a Bentley =
orgasmic!

Getting AFN Pearl Harbour, Guam, Diego Garcia and Key West as clear as
a bell with it's wonderful NR noise reduction and tight filters.
And "Big L" from Holland, a 20 Kw MW station nice and clear.

This is the only radio I have owned that will actually clearly work AM
stations on ECSS with a 2.0 kHz filter (all the other radio's are too
muffled at this tight setting).

SNIP