Old June 17th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default Efficiency and maximum power transfer

Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:

R is by definition a physical "property of conductors which depends on
dimensions, material, and temperature".

That's only one definition. From "The IEEE Dictionary",
the above is definition (A). Definition (B) is simply
"the real part of impedance" with the following Note:
"Definitions (A) and (B) are not equivalent but are
supplementary. In any case where confusion may arise,
specify definition being used."

Definition (B) covers Walt's non-dissipative resistance.
A common example is the characteristic impedance of
transmission line. In an ideal matched system V^2/Z0, I^2*Z0,
or V*I is the power being transferred under non-dissipative
conditions.

Yes. I agree with that, Cecil. But that's not the claim to which I
responded.

73, ac6xg