Old June 17th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison Richard Harrison is offline

Default Efficiency and maximum power transfer

Owen Duffy wrote:
"Richard, I accept that you are committed to your view. Let`s leave it
at that."

Owen is "throwing in the towel' but not admitting error.

I have no allegiance to a particular view. I am happy to view things
from another`s perspective. Owen mught do the same.

Owen Duffy also wrote:
"I understand your position to be that the behavior of a tank circuit is
independent of the transfer linearity of the active device...but
asserting that things are linear because there are no harmonics is wrong
and saying so is no support for your argument."

Owen has it wrong. The final amplifier is linear because its output is
an exact replica of its input except for amplitude, or close enough so.

When the waveshape of the output signal from an amplifier varies in any
respect other than amplitude from the waveshape of the signal feeding
the amplifier, the amplifier is distorting the signal.

Sinewave a-c is considered the perfect waveform. It consists of a single
frequency. Any other waveform consists of more than one frequency, So
the presence or absence of harmonics in addition to the fundamental is a
clear indication of distortion. Anyone can confirm waveform using an
oscilloscope.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI