Old June 20th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default Efficiency and maximum power transfer

Walter Maxwell wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 14, 8:46 am, "Walter Maxwell" wrote:

I don't understand how my statement in the email above indicates that I^2*R

and

V*R could be zero. The simple ratio of E/I is not zero, yet it defines a
resistance that is non-dissipative because a ratio cannot dissipate power.

Walt

Hi Walt -

If E and I are not zero, then E*I is not zero. But you are correct
that the equations themselves do not dissipate power. :-) Resistors
do, however. If there isn't an actual resistor located where you make
your measurement, then of course there's no power being dissipated
there.

73, ac6xg

Jim, have you reviewed the new section Chapter 19A that appears on Cecil's
website that he uploaded on June 7? It appears there posted as 'Chapter 19A from
Reflections 3'. If you haven't reviewed it I urge you to do so, especially the
last portion where I report the measurements I made with a complex impedance
resistance of the amp is non-dissipative, and 2) that no reflected energy
reaches the amp tube, and in fact the measurements show that the tube doesn't
even see the reflected power. When you see the numbers and understand the
procedure I used in obtaining them you will be hard pressed to disagree with the
results.

Walt, W2DU

Hi Walt -

I have skimmed through it. It seems to me that your arguments with
this person named Bruene should be left out of it. Still, I have
enough faith in your considerable engineering talents (and enough
understanding of the underlying physics) to know that nothing in your
results would reveal dissipationless resistors having finite ohmic
resistance.

On the other hand, a virtual resistor, being the real component of a
virtual impedance, should by definition not be allowed the ability to
dissipate (or for that matter, reflect) energy. ;-)

73, ac6xg