Old June 20th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Walter Maxwell Walter Maxwell is offline

Default Efficiency and maximum power transfer

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:39:12 -0400, "Walter Maxwell"
wrote:

Richard, am I now to understand that you haven't reviewed my Chapter 19A,

which
details the entire procedure I used for the measurements that include the
resistance RL = 1400 ohms at the input of the pi-network? If you haven't I

can

Hi Walt,

As I expected, you can provide quantitative data. This is a
refreshing change from the, what?, 100+ postings of "thoughts" on the
matter? It would suggest a poor rate of exchange for thinking these
days to come to so little conclusion.

You can find 19A by using this url from Cecil,
http://www.w5dxp.com/Chapt19a.doc.

Well, if you posted it through Cecil here, yes I didn't see it as I
don't read him.

Now, however, having a copy of that work from your own web site (why
didn't you reference that?) that I got after my last post, I will go
through it by the steps you lay out so carefully.

http://www.w2du.com/r3ch19a.pdf

Before doing so, and confining that to a separate posting, I would say
that I can acknowledge your fine work and care at creating a protocol
that does seem to reduce the variables, and test your hypothesis
without editorial bias. It seems like a great improvement from
earlier attempts to tackle the same issue.

A preliminary thought, however: What would you say is the Q of the
plate tank, Plate to Load, during operation under each load?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay in answering, we were out of town all day yesterday so this
is the first opportunity I've had to read your post. Thank you for your kind
assessment of my measurements.

Now to the reason I didn't direct you to my own web page for the file 19A. That
version is about two years old, and I have made some sigificant changes since
then. Son Rick is my webmaster and at the time he was too busy to update the
file on the web page, so I gave Cecil the copy for him to put on his web page.
However, instead of adding it to this thread, for some reason he started a new
thread.

In addition to that I'm a dim-witted jerk. When I told you about accessing 19A I
was very tired and sleepy, so it didn't occur to me until the next morning that
I should have simply emailed you the most recent version. I've added some more
material even since the version I gave to Cecil, but not in the section
reporting the measurements.

Richard, I don't know of any way to determine the Q with the data I obtained,
I'd have to think about any additional measurements that would give the Q.
Unfortunately, my lab is in Florida and Jean and I are at our Summer home in
Mt. Pleasant, MI, so there is no way I can work on the Q until we return to FL
in November.

I'd appreciate any further comments you might have on the data appearing in 19A.

Walt, W2DU