Old June 21st 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
Ed Cregger Ed Cregger is offline

Default Radio for VHF UHF weak signal DX

"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for
weak signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Groundhog day??

Jeff

------------

Before I left NJ, USA in 98, the activity on VHF/UHF had nearly disappeared,
except for a few diehards with their own repeaters. I hardly ever heard
anyone on USB or CW on six meters, two meters and upwards.

Now that I'm down south in GA, near Chattanooga, TN, it is the same way. Ten
years later and no rise in activity on VHF/UHF. It's very disappointing for
me. I enjoyed the higher average IQ of the operators that I used to find on
VHF/UHF.

I presently own a Yaesu FT-847 and a few single band radios for VHF/UHF. A
Yaesu FT-690R MII, an ICOM 229H (actually a couple) and an el cheapo 220 MHz
rig, whose brand I can't remember. There is a fair amount of activity on 220
MHz down here, but it is all via repeater.

Ed, NM2K