Old June 21st 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
Joe Joe is offline

Default Radio for VHF UHF weak signal DX

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:52:08 +0100, "Martin g1gyc" wrote:

Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for weak
signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

The best is a high quality HF radio (K3, Orion-II, FT9000, IC7700, 7800) followed by a
DB6NT transverter. Or even nicer: a SDR with transverter. There are not many serious
radio's left with VHF/UHF. Only one I know of is the IC910H. I am still using my trusty
FT736 and am having a ball with it... If you can find one - or something else especially
with a Mutek go for it!

But since you are in G, check and ask on the ON4KST website www.on4kst.com/chat and select
the frequency your interested in. Often between 100-200+ stations per band chat Ask for
some opinions there.

No VHF/UHF is not dead but it has definitely changed in the past 6 or so years...