Old June 22nd 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default RoomCap Antenna - last results

On Jun 21, 5:26 pm, hb9abx wrote:

Conclusion:
This test proves clearly, that the efficiency of the Roomcap Antenna
equals that of large wire antennas,
and hereby confirms the results that I obtained during my own tests
during the last 3 years.
Each operator confirms the logged reports.

I have problems with your reference antenna though..
If they are trying to ensure efficiency from the reference
antenna, why use a multi wavelength loop fed with a tuner?
They would have been better off using a standard dipole, or
if a loop, a direct fed 1 wavelength loop for the band to be
used.
Also, this test does not prove that the efficiency of the "roomcap"
antenna equals that of large wire antennas.
All it proves it that at the time of the test and the path used,
that the roomcap antenna had a higher level of radiation at
that particular angle. This has nothing to do with efficiency.
If you really believe a 1.5 meter tall antenna is as efficient
as a 1/2 wave dipole fed with coax, I have some ocean front
property in AZ I'd like to show you.
I've had my mobile antenna outplay my 1/2 wave dipole at
certain times of the day and using certain "usually low"
angles. But I would never be so foolish as to suggest that
my mobile whip is just as efficient as my 1/2 wave dipole
at home.
Anyway, the testing is good to do, but this test has warts,
and I wouldn't place too much trust in it. I sure wouldn't go
so far as to claim any certain efficiency from the roomcap
antenna. I'm not too keen on the reference antenna you
used. It has warts too.. You are losing system efficiency
in the feed system using coax to a tuner.
And also the pattern of the multi wavelength loop would need
to be looked into. I'd almost bet money a 1/2 wave coax
fed dipole would have beat that loop in most all directions.
It would almost certainly have a higher system efficiency
by doing away with the tuner.
Anyway, I'm not too convinced..

See Art, I don't just pick on you... Anyone with dubious
test results gets a comment from me...
I'm an equal opportunity heckler... :/