Old June 22nd 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL Newbies : Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands andWaveLengths in Meters

On Jun 21, 3:31*pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

SWL-2010 wrote:

If you listen to shortwave long enough you don't have to do division.

I've been listening long enough to know that broadcasters themselves are
moving away from "meterband" type gewgaw.

Well, to be blunt and to make sure I exercise my right to free speech and
expression, I think anyone who listens to shortwave that doesn't "get"
something as simple as a meterband is actually pretty damned stupid. *I've
never heard anyone protest something so intrinsic to the hobby. *You can
have the last word. I have a feeling you will continue to press your
meaningless point until you do get the last word.

- [A shortwave listener who doesn't understand
- what a meterband is, now I've heard it all].

For the Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Newbies,

Hertz & kHz & MHz -versus- Shortwave Bands
and WaveLengths in Meters {Metres}
* Hertz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz
* kHz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo_Hertz_%28KHz%29

The basic 'relative' concept of Frequency, Radio Waves
and Wave Length as a function of each other. Goes to
the Core-of-Understanding the Radio (RF) Bands and
being a Shortwave Band Radio Listener (SWL).
* Radio Frequency - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
* Radio Waves - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_waves
* WaveLength - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength
* Shortwave Bands - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_bands
* Meters - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meters {Metres}

For Those Who Want To Do-the-Math here is a simple
to use "Frequency to Wavelength (WL) Calculator"
http://www.csgnetwork.com/freqwavelengthcalc.html
Plus Shortwave (SW) Meter Band to Frequency Range Table

About - Shortwave Radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

About - High Frequency (HF) Radio Frequencies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_frequency

About - Medium Frequency (MF) Radio Fequencies (RF)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_frequency
-aka- Medium Wave (MW) Radio Band -or- the AM
Radio Broadcast Band (BCB)
* Medium Wave or MediumWave (MW)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_wave
* AM Broadcasting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcast

one reader at a time - building basic understanding of the
shortwave radio listening hobby - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}