Old June 22nd 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default Rebuttal to Richard Clark's comments on my Chapter 19A

On Jun 22, 11:33 am, "Walter Maxwell" wrote:
RICHARD:

I've known you for a long time to be tough but fair. I've envied your depth of
knowledge in many areas of expertise. Which is why I entrusted you and others on
this thread with my Chapter 19A for an honest peer review. I expected to receive
a fair review from you that would fare well in proving my paper correct for
those who don't yet understand, or don't believe the principles involved.

However, instead of receiving a fair critique of my paper you trashed it with an
axe. Every criticism you made was not only negative, but clearly false. If I
didn't know you better I would conclude from your comments that you don't have a
clue concerning the operation of RF amplifiers.

Since you chose to denigrate my writing instead of giving it a fair critique,
why did you broadcast it on the news group instead of discussing your position
with me privately? Since you have broadcast it I have no choice but to defend my
position by rebutting each and every one of your false statements on this thread
for all to see.

Thus I'm repeating your comments with my responses to them to set the record
straight.

Richard says:

Hi All,

This is simply a quick overview from the separate threads that will
follow, each thread devoted to only one Step in the progression of
measurements Steps offered by Walt Maxwell in his upcoming release of
"Reflections III," Chapter 19A in particular.

I have been working off of three revisions of this work, and some
quotes may not be accurate. I will leave reconciliation of those to
others as this has been a long and exhaustive examination, and I don't
perceive any substantive issues shifted along the way. Not all steps
will be critiqued as not all contain response beyond my noting they
contained simple reports of fact that did not merit challenging. A
full article length version containing all discussion of this will be
available.

The discussion threads follow immediately.

Walt says:

The numbered steps are quotes from Chapter 19A

Step 1.
Using a Kenwood TS-830S transceiver as the RF source, the tuning and
power into a 50 + j0-ohm load with the grid drive adjusted to deliver
the maximum of 100 watts at 4 MHz, thus establishing the area of the
RF power window at the input of the pi-network, resistance RLP at the
plate, and the slope of the load line. The output source resistance of
the amplifier in this condition will later be shown to be 50 ohms. In
this condition the DC plate voltage is 800 v and plate current is 260
ma. DC input power is therefore 800 x 0.26 a = 208 w. Readings on
the Bird 43 wattmeter indicate 100 watts forward and zero watts
reflected. (100 watts is the maximum RF output power available at this
drive level.) From here on the grid drive is left undisturbed, and the
pi-network controls are left undisturbed until Step 10.

Richard says:
There are several points in response he
1.The load specification ( 50 + j0-ohm) is for full output power, not
some portion of it. This is a minor point.

Walt says: This is NOT a minor point. The output power at 100 watts was
specified as the reference power, not the full output power the xmtr could
produce.

2.Maximum power from a TS-830S can be as high as 120W, could be lower
depending on finals' service life. This is a minor point.

Walt says: This is also NOT a minor point. The TS-830S used for the measurements
is capable of producing more than 130 watts, but 100 watts was used to assure
stability that could be compromised if running the xmtr at its full output.