Old June 23rd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default What effect does a tuner have at the antenna?

Richard Harrison wrote:
Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"If we monitored only forward current or forward power at the antenna
feedpoint, could we still adjust the tuner?"

Yes because a conjugate match delivers all available power (a maximum)
and a conjugate match also exists at every pair of terminals between the
transmitter and the antenna if the tuner and line are essentially
lossless.

I made an interesting assertion on a related thread over
on QRZ Q&A.

"A CONJUGATE MATCH TO A MISMATCHED LOAD GUARANTEES MAXIMUM
POWER REFLECTED FROM THE LOAD!"

The maximum available power is delivered to a mismatched load
when a conjugate match exists. It follows that is also the
point where the incident power is maximum and the mismatched
load will be reflecting the maximum amount of incident power.

Apparently, one could adjust an antenna tuner for a conjugate
match by monitoring the reflected power at the *output* of the
tuner and adjusting for a maximum. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com