Old June 24th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Art Unwin Art Unwin is offline

Default interesting format for a new antenna

On Jun 24, 8:21 am, Gene Fuller wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
When reviewing the shield of coax I see that the circulating strands
follow the same principle
that I advocate for small full wave antennas. Each turn on the
shielding has a compensating return
turn which cancels the added inductance while the wire crosses over
each other to cancel the added capacitances.
If one got a short length of say 2 inch diameter sheathing they could
attach the wires into one complete circuit
for an antenna. One could dip the sheathing into some sort of
insulation if they so which but actually the wires each act as
insulated wire (electricity preferrs not to turn at right angles if it
can go straight) so that is really not necessary .

Does this mean that if one places his finger on a live wire while making
sure to keep said finger at right angles to the wire that no shock will
be delivered? Do ordinary electricians know about this protective strategy?

73,
Gene
W4SZ

There are a plethoria of papers presented to the IEEE to prove that
the wires in
braiding act like insulated wires. I am well aware that hams
perpetuate "old wives tales"
regarding this and many other things. Sorry but you can't ignore the
facts tho free speech
is still available for the spreading of misinformation otherwise
known as lies