Old June 27th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
amdx amdx is offline

Default Parabolic Dish Questions

"Wimpie" wrote in message
On 26 jun, 14:35, "amdx" wrote:
I have a Directv dish 35 inches wide x 20 inches tall 4inches deep.
I calculated the focus as F=D*2 / 16d where D =diameter and d=depth
F=18 inches Ok so far.
How do you find beamwidth? I think the 35" dimensiom would have a tighter
pattern than the 20 ", but how do you calculate,

Second, The feed antenna, There can be different feeds.
A simple monopole, dipole, biquad, patch, yagi, helix.
How does the feed antenna affect the gain of the dish, if at all?
Yea, it my be difficult to light the yagi or helix, so if you like throw
those out.
Thank You,
Mike

Hello Mike,

In case of uniform illumination, gain is maximum, side lobes are
maximum also and beam width is about 60*lambda/diameter (degrees).

My dish is 35" wide x 20"tall
So if Lambda=4.89" Then 60 x 4.89 / 35 = 8.38*
and 60 x 4.89 / 20 = 14.67*
Then my beamwidth will be taller than it is wide.

You will certainly not reach this, for several reasons. The beam width
will be more, it can be twice as high (depending on the illuminator).

Yes. it's always something.

The maximum gain that you can obtain with a certain aperture antenna
is about 4*pi*A/lambda^2. In reality it will be less:

I was going to attempt this but I don't know how to calculate the area (A)
of my non circular dish. Any help there?

Thanks, Mike