Old June 27th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Parabolic Dish Questions

amdx wrote:
I have a Directv dish 35 inches wide x 20 inches tall 4inches deep.
I calculated the focus as F=D*2 / 16d where D =diameter and d=depth
F=18 inches Ok so far.
How do you find beamwidth? I think the 35" dimensiom would have a tighter
pattern than the 20 ", but how do you calculate,

Second, The feed antenna, There can be different feeds.
A simple monopole, dipole, biquad, patch, yagi, helix.
How does the feed antenna affect the gain of the dish, if at all?
Yea, it my be difficult to light the yagi or helix, so if you like throw
those out.
Thank You,
Mike

Some guys at the local club were trying to use a TV dish like yours.
They eventually decided it was easier to build a dish from scratch.
The old TVRO dishes can be useful and there are plenty of them around
that can be had just for the asking.

Jimmie