Old June 29th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Brad Brad is offline

Default Portable Phones: Base vs. Handset Frequencies

On Jun 28, 1:50*am, Connah wrote:
Hi all!

I have both a PRO-97 and an older Realistic PRO-2022. I have come
across an interesting problem on which I would like your collective
input. While my PRO-97 scans the 923 - 927MHz range for portable phone
handset frequencies, my PRO-2022 scans the 902 - 905MHz range for
portable phone base frequencies. When someone activates their phone,
my PRO-97 will stop on, for example, 924.525MHz and my PRO-2022 will
stop on 903.125MHz. On BOTH scanners, I hear BOTH sides of the same
conversation. If, during that conversation, I switch my PRO-2022 over
to 924.525MHz, I STILL hear both sides of the conversation. HOWEVER,
and here's the issue, if I tune my PRO-97 to 903.125MHz, I hear
NOTHING but static. Both of the scanners are sitting right beside each
other.

So why would my PRO-2022 be able to hear both sides of the
conversation on BOTH frequencies, but my PRO-97 only be able to hear
the conversation on ONE frequency? This disturbs me since the PRO-97
is much more advanced...and much more expensive! If any one can shed
light on this, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks all!

Matthew

Perhaps the image of the first IF and the tx/rx split is the same?