Old June 30th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default source of crystals for Kenwood transceiver upgrade.

On Jun 30, 7:50*am, cliff wright wrote:
Good day all!
I have an old Kenwood TS-820 that I've already upgraded somewhat, but I
would like to try adding the WARC bands at 10,18 and 24 MHz.
The rig only cost me $50 so I was horrified when I discovered that
crystals for the job are now priced @ $65 US each + shipping!!!
The frequencies aren't very unusual so obviously I am looking for
someone who has them available for a more reasonable rate.
As it stands it just isn't worth the cost of over $250 NZ.
The Xtals are on 15.5 23.5 and 30 MHz and are standard miniature types.
If any one can help me out please drop me an Email and let me know how I
can pay for them.
73's
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Cliff -
You will note that many homebrewers prefer to use widely available
"microprocessor crystals" for all crystals. Typical prices are $0.50-
$2.00 new, and they are widely available from lots of distributors (in
the US: Mouser, Digikey, etc.)

30 MHz is a widely available microprocessor crystal available in many
holders.

The other two frequencies you want are not microprocessor crystals,
but nearby frequencies are available, and if you don't mind the dial
reading strangely will work fine. If you've added an outboard counter,
some are smart enough to do the math between the VFO and the hetrodyne
crystals and it will automagically read correctly. (Small plug: look
around and you'll find such smart dials for as little as $10.00).

23.512 MHz is widely available (I think it can be divided down to be a
baud rate generator which is why it's a "microprocessor crystal".)

15.36 MHz is also widely available.

While the microprocessor crystals are not the most pristine high-Q
crystals available with matching-Kenwood parameters, they will work
just fine for hetrodyne oscillators.

Tim N3QE