Old June 30th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael[_4_] Michael[_4_] is offline

Default Loop antenna success story

I live in town, three blocks from a failing transformer. At night you
can see it arcing continuously. This produces an S8 noise level on my
Icom 718. The power company has been completely uncooperative now for 6
months of my complaining.

Even though I was warned that a loop antenna would not help with a noise
source this close, I put up a 75 meter full wave loop anyway. I was
desperate.

It was certainly not as easy as putting up my dipole between a couple of
trees. I had to add an aluminum mast to my garage.

My loop is tied to three trees and an aluminum mast at 35 feet. My noise
level on 75 meters went from S8 to S0.

This antenna is fed out of an old Tentec tuner model 229. It then feeds
25 feet of RG213. It then transitions through a Radio Works remote balun
hung from the house into 60 feet of ladder line. The antenna is fed at a
corner. The other three corners our outfitted with small pulleys to
"float" the wire and compensate for tree movement. The wire is hung
loosely to accommodate winds.

All my regular local operators say that my signal went from 20-30 over
with my dipole to 40 over with the loop. I realize this does not make
sense, because the dipole was radiating all 1000 watts of energy too. I
can't figure it out. However, I will not argue with success.

I put up this antenna in hopes of reducing receiver noise. It sure did.