Old June 30th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default Home made PCB?

On Jun 30, 4:33*pm, "numeric" wrote:
You are correct, a 1206 is a large SMD component and I will try to use them
wherever possible. However, smaller (0402 and larger) may also be used. It
is encouraging to hear about successful fine pitch results with hand solder
techniques. In addition, it will certainly be useful for parts placed on
both sides of the PCB.

For my purposes, 0603 is the "standard" size SMD part to use when I
have a choice. Of course power parts are gonna be bigger.

I mean, just so you don't scare yourself, look at the bottom of a
TO-92 transistor that you've been soldering for 30 years or more. The
pitch there 0.05 inches or 0.127 mm. And you do those all the time.
Your LQFP is finer pitch, but not ridiculously so. So don't set
yourself up with the mental attitude that it's gonna be hard, because
it isn't going to be hard!

I have occasionally used 0402 and even 0201 parts when they weren't
available in 0603... I struggled with 0201, and 0402 required a lot of
concentration. By comparison the 0.65mm pitch parts were a piece of
cake.

And finally, don't ignore the option of doing "dead bug" with SMT
parts. Very fun for low-lead-count analog parts... and possible though
questionable for digital stuff with lotsa leads.

Tim.