Old July 1st 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default Antennas

wrote:
Was at a field day thing this past weekend. I wasn't there when they
set everything up. There were 3 antennas in use. One very clearly
was a Yagi. One of the others very clearly was a "vertical" and the
other one was like a wire running the length of the parking lot and
was up about as high as the building - then it had a middle wire
running in to the shack with the radio. I was told that was a
horizontal antenna. Isn't there more specific names for vertical and
horizontal antennas than just vertical and horizontal??

Thanks.

The antennae you describe are simply vertical and horizontal
antennae. What, you want names? Like "Tesla Star Sweeper?" Or "Hiram
Percy Maxim Signal Blaster?"

They are called what they are. Simple, descriptive. Says what it is.

The specifics are going to be in the operating parameters.

Feed type, Length relative to frequency, Loaded, Unloaded, all these
bits of information can be more descriptive at the operating site for
proper application. But it's still either a horizontal, or a vertical.
Which determines the radiation angle, and to a lesser extent, noise
susceptibility.

Go with simple.