Old July 2nd 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Loop antenna success story

Bert Hyman wrote:
In
wrote:

I may be misreading your post, excuse me if I am. But, how are arcing
power transformers a part of a fireman's job, other than putting out
any resulting fire?

I think the expectation is that the fire department would be sensitive
to something that has an obvious potential for starting a fire.

Keep in mind that as far as the fire department is concerned, that
arcing transformer is already "on fire". Fire departments are trained to
respond to electrical fires, which include downed power lines. That
arcing transformer looks a lot like the arcing from a power line - just
on a smaller scale. They work with the power companies, who have the
responsibility of turning off the power, while the FD takes care of
whatever extra fire that happens.

Do the immediate neighbors know the transformer is malfunctioning? Does
the power company know? Not taking care of that would be gross
negligence. A discreet caal to the Fire department might help, maybe
even a call to the home insurance company (you'd be surprised how
helpful they can be when property they insure is at risk.

Fire departments also know who to talk to at the power company to get
things turned off during fire emergencies, who might either be the same
people who would actually care about an arcing transformer or would know
who would.

Lastly, fire departments are local and easier to deal with than the FCC.

In this case, definitely. There is a clear danger. The FCC is of better
use when there are problems that are more nuisance than danger to the
public.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -