Old November 12th 03, 12:59 AM
Roy Lewallen

Jim Kelley wrote:
"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message

You've said that because the inductor I chose is something like 4%
larger than necessary to resonate the antenna, the magnitude and phase
shift from input to output would be very nearly zero (although the
reasoning is contrary to conventional electrical circuit theory, and I
don't follow it at all).

Don't know. Didn't say it. Can't help.

I apologize. I looked back at what I thought you had said, and I was
mistaken.

So what I'm asking for is an inductor value
which would exhibit a large enough phase and/or magnitude shift that
would be easily seen in a measurement.

Do we agree that the amount of differential will depend on the number of
'degrees missing' from the length of the antenna?

No. In a few minutes, I'll post a description of a more recent
measurement I made that refutes this. Of course, elementary circuit
theory refutes it also, which is the basis for my disagreement.

Do we agree that the position of the loading coil plays a significant.
role in determining how much of a current differential will appear across
it?

If you're talking about a physically long coil, yes. If you're talking
about a physically small coil, no.

But if you believe that the amount of antenna the coil "replaces"
determines the differential, wouldn't this be true regardless of the
placement of the coil in the antenna?

I'll be constructing a more ideal
33 foot vertical in the near future, and making similar measurements at
3.8 MHz. So if its feedpoint impedance is, let's say, 35 - j370, what
would be the input to output current ratio (magnitude and phase) for a
physically very small base inductor of, say, +j300 ohms? If it's very
small, then pick an inductor value which would exhibit a substantial
inpututput current ratio.

Are you going to insist that it be one of these ferrite core jobs, or is it
more like ones on a HF6V?

Is there something about a "ferrite job" that makes it follow different
rules? But the answer is no to both. I insist on using a physically
small toroid wound on a powdered iron core. Only after people understand
how a physically small inductor works will they have any chance of
understanding how a physically long one does.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL