Old July 2nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Open Wire fed lengths

K7ITM wrote:

The only way to keep a wire--e.g., piece of coax--from being a
radiator is to keep net current at zero. If there's no net current,
you didn't need the wire anyway (at that frequency, at least). If
it's a protective ground for mains frequency, it will probably still
work for that purpose if you add ferrite for RF choking.

K7ITM:

I was hoping the rf/dc/ac could reach ground via a very low
resistance/impedance to rf on the inner surface of the braid and the
center conductor ...

While it would be virtually impossible to reduce rf on the outer braid
to absolute zero, I was hoping the choke would provide sufficient
impedance to rf to where it became near negligible, at least for
practical purposes.

Regards,
JS