Old July 2nd 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Open Wire fed lengths

K7ITM wrote:

If there's a net RF current, there's a net RF current, and it will
radiate. It matters not a whit whether you say the net is on the
inside or the outside or distributed between them in any proportion.

Really, then I can throw away the current choke on my coax to my 1/2
wave vertical then? I THINK NOT!!! And, I DON'T think there is rf on
the outside of the coax shield--I DO think there is on the inside of the
braid ...

What exactly is "ground," anyway? Do you think it has magical
properties? What ARE its properties? What does it do for you?

Find an improperly grounded kw xmitter/liner whose case is hot with rf
and running into a noticeable SWR, now touch a sharp corner of the case
with your finger. Pay attention to the hissing noise(s), the flesh
being vaporized into a white smoke, the characteristic white, deep
penetrating, slow-to-heal rf burn(s) on your finger, etc.

Now ground the case and touch the sharp corner--notice the lack of pain?

Now, that you should get you started with what a ground is ... got
anymore questions?

Now, I can explain all that without having to bring magic into the
argument--but hell, go ahead, give me your "magical" version if you
would like ...

Regards,
JS