Old July 3rd 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default Open Wire fed lengths

On Jul 2, 3:07 pm, John Smith wrote:
K7ITM wrote:
If there's a net RF current, there's a net RF current, and it will
radiate. It matters not a whit whether you say the net is on the
inside or the outside or distributed between them in any proportion.

Really, then I can throw away the current choke on my coax to my 1/2
wave vertical then? I THINK NOT!!! And, I DON'T think there is rf on
the outside of the coax shield--I DO think there is on the inside of the
braid ...

....which is balanced by the RF on the center conductor. If it doesn't
radiate, there's no net current; the center conductor current is equal
in magnitude and opposite in phase to the current on the adjacent
inside of the outer conductor. Why would you think that what you
quoted above would imply that you could get rid of the choke on your
transmission line, if you want to keep the line from having a net
current and therefore radiating? It says just the opposite. But of
course, you already knew that, didn't you? Sorry, rhetorical
question.