Old July 3rd 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce dxAce is offline

Default Somethings about the Beverage Antenna

wrote:

On Jul 2, 11:32 am, RHF wrote:
Beverage Antennahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_antenna

Beverage Antenna Constructionhttp://www.w8ji.com/beverages.htm

Beverage Antenna Tips -by- N1EUhttp://n1eu.com/topband/BeverageTips.htm

The Beverage Antenna -by- Hardcore DX .Comhttp://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/beverage/index.html

The Beverage Antenna Memorandum [FCC Report]http://www.ae5d.com/bev/

Beverages On the Ground [BOG] -by- Shawn Axelrodhttp://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/bevant.html

I love beverage antenna's when you can get one out, but today's
overdeveloped areas make it hard to find a place. Much is written
about beverage antenna's, books and books in fact going into great
technicality. But here in South Africa we just throw out a bit of wire
and get great results.

My pal Gary in Cape Town just runs out 220m/700 ft of wire called a
BOG, beverage on the ground, just on his suburban road outside his
house, or at best he goes down to the local sportsfield and runs it
out there. He gets amazing results from this.

Of course the purists will tell you that the beverage has to be dead
straight, terminated into a resistor and supported about 1.2m/5ft off
the ground, but in years of playing with these antenna's we have got
great results with a not too perfect layout and no termination.

The termination at the far end only solves the problem of the antenna being bi-directional, that is of course
receiving signal from both the direction the wire is running (and, off the back end where it is fed).

Did have a place accessible to me at one time where we had 6 permanent Beverage antennas set up, all terminated. A
very nice place to DX, but always a lot of repair work on the wires as they ran through a wooded area.

Give it a try and have fun - you will be well rewarded with some super
catches.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx