Old July 3rd 03, 01:36 AM
Chuck / KE4ETH

It's a sad thing.

My local Radio Shack is run by a fellow that stocks parts. Not the RS brand,
but Ohmite and others. We have a college in that town and an electrical
engineering department, so I guess that one doesn't count. A company store,
45 miles away, has an upright cabinet with drawer with resistors, ICs, Caps
and other parts. Not a good selection, but some. Another store 35 miles away
has the same kinda drawers with the same kinda items.

The seem to want to sell (and promise the moon) on appliance items.

Chuck

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
Well, I guess the death knell has sounded for the Shack as a source for
experimenter and hobbyist parts. I went into a relatively new store (open
less than a year) today to get a few resistors that I need in a hurry.

What
did I find? Not a resistor, capacitor, transistor, IC, switch, fuse, or
anything that would be considered an electronic component was to be found.
They had all kinds of TV coax, TV connectors, cell phones, home phones,
phone accessories, satellite TV equipment, expensive toys, and a few

stereo
"systems", but but not an electronic component in sight. They had wire,
solder, soldering irons, and such, but nothing to solder the wires to.

They
don't even carry the small project boxes any more.
They're looking more like the electronics section in WalMart every day.
Ooops, I take that back... the Shack's prices are 40-100% above what

you'll
pay for the same item at WalMart.

Adios Radio Shack !! RIP

--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

the
address)

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.