Old July 6th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Why does the Lazy H antenna suck in the real world on 11 meters?

wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:59 am, wrote:

But it was a compromise spacing, and I fed it both ways
depending on the pattern I wanted.

Just thinking about another thing.. I think feeding in phase
would give a bi directional pattern, but if he wanted an
omni directional pattern, I think he'd have to have the elements
90 degrees out of phase. But I fergot...
He could fire up eznec demo or whatever and he can
quickly get a pretty good idea what to expect in theory
with any particular spacing and phasing.
He could crudely steer the pattern if he used various
length feeders to each element.
Some also use the "L/C" phasing boxes to steer the
pattern. Again fairly crude compared to some methods,
but it will work. Just don't expect perfect textbook patterns.
You have to take what you get...
The ARRL antenna book has better methods if want
cleaner patterns.

Or, if you don't wish the built-in limitations of Eznec (the demo
version), try MMANA GAL. Will feed the same data to the nec engine(s.)

Regards,
JS