Old July 6th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] stuff@here.com is offline

Default Wrist Rocket Height

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:07:34 -0400, john Wiener
wrote:

Tim Shoppa wrote:
On May 15, 12:46 pm, "R.Scott" wrote:
I'm trying to restring my Dipole up in a Pine (the tree has grown
about 10 ft, and the rope needs replacing) so I got out my trusty
Surgical tubing wrist rocket and a 1oz egg weight tied to my 15# test
fishing rod/reel (only using the bottom eye).

No matter how far I pulled back I got about 2/3s of the way up. Im
estimating that is about the 35 ft level.

Shouldn't a wrister go farther ???? need bigger weight ?

How high are you trying to go? With everything in my favor (wind,
etc.) I could get over about a 50 foot branch with a wrist-slingshot
and a 1oz weight. And I think I was standing on a 12 foot ladder to do
it, and this was a "best ever" shot.

Having the line catch on anything - grass, leaves, etc., is a major
downer. If there's no brush on the ground you might get a little more
height by spooling some line out in front of you.

Others here regularly claim being able to get 100+ feet with a
slingshot. I never said out loud that they're exaggerating, but I know
I could just barely do half that. To get to 100feet I went straight to
a tennis ball cannon.

The guys at FD were putting the weight over the top of the athletic
field lights and those are about a 100. I can't but several of them
could. One it took about 5 tries. :-))

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com