Old July 6th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wimpie[_2_] Wimpie[_2_] is offline

Default Why does the Lazy H antenna suck in the real world on 11 meters?

On 6 jul, 05:01, Michael wrote:
On Jul 5, 10:44 pm, "Hal Rosser" wrote:

I'm not sure, but if the Lazy H has Horizontal polarity and the folks you're
trying to communicate with are using Verticals, there may be quite a bit of
signal loss.
Since you mentioned it was for 11 meters, can we assume you're trying to
communicate without using 'skip'?

It is meant for skip. I typed 10 meters at the start of the message,
but 11 meters in the Subject line. Old habits die hard as I started
on the CB band.

Hello Michael,

You mentioned that even your hor. dipole blows away the Lazy H (also
for good orientation). This rules out every influence because of
minimum elevation angle of main beam versus ground conductivity/
permittivity.

I assume that you are talking about several S-points. There must be
something really wrong. The dipole close to ground will have some
different impedance (then the upper). This will cause some phase
error, but this should not lead to a drastic reduction of overall
gain.

According to your postings, the construction is OK (no twist, feeding
in the middle). I also assume that you have some spacing between the
5/8 lambda long vertical line and the actual feed line (of 200ft), to
avoid coupling between the two.

It can be the line, or the tuner/balun. Line Losses increase and when
your VSWR in the line is very high, this may increase the overall loss
in your 450 Ohm feed line. If possible compare the field strength of
your hor. dipole with field strength of the lazy H.

Other option is to find an unused frequency en put in lots of power
and look for temperature increase.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
The mail does function when you remove abc