Old July 6th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rfburns Rfburns is offline

Default IBiquity – Where’s the “HD” in “HD” radio?

On Jul 6, 3:23 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Rfburns" wrote in message

But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen.
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

Well, Eduardo it happens all the time on the Sony XDR-S3HD. Which is
practically being given away now because nobody wants them and places
like Best Buy, etc lost their ass on them.

I can't imagine why any company would want to waste anymore
developmental dollars on ibiquity "HD" technology again after seeing
the dismal sales and performance it produces.

The other thing I like about "HD" is when the analog and digital
signals are out of sync by several seconds and the signal just isn't
strong enough to get an "HD" lock. It goes back and forth replaying
the delayed signal over and over while it constantly switches back and
forth from analog to "HD" and back to analog and then back to "HD".
Over and Over. Since I live more the 20 miles from the nearest "HD"
station this is pretty much the norm. It's a real treat to hear how
screwed up system is and how poorly implemented the digital component
is.

Another thing I love seeing is when an "HD" station advertises their
website on the goofy little screen so you can use your Web radio to
hear them rather than their terrestrial radio signal. That’s a nice
touch. Looks to me like most stations know what a bust ibiquity "HD"
is.

Someday, when iBiquity "HD" is just a memory of another failed
technology I'll recall with fond memories what a joke it was.