Old July 7th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default IBiquity - Where's the "HD" in "HD" radio?

"The Traveller" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:23:22 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Rfburns" wrote in message
But the part I love the most about "HD"radio is when your listening to
a non-hd station the radio switches to "HD" mode and goes silent. Now
that's a cool strategy.

On at least a dozen different HD receivers, I have never had this happen.
Nor, until now in your message, have I ever heard of it happening.

I have a SONY XDR-S3HD and I live more than 20 miles+ from the nearest
AM transmitter. I can attest to the fact that the AM & FM HD
programming drops in & out on a regular basis even if the signal
strength bar graph shows a very strong signal! This is really annoying
(how strong does strong need to be?)

Try rereading the post by rfburns. He is talking about non-HD AMs dropping
out on the receiver, not HD digital channels.

The Sony is a second generation receiver, and none of them is very good at
HD reception.

As to AM in Carlsbad, you are at the fringe of the AM signals of the San
Diego HD AMs, so dropout would be likely on a bad receiver. The fact is that
SD does not even have an AM that totally covers the market with a usable
signal.