Old July 3rd 03, 04:51 PM
Ken Finney

"Alex" wrote in message
my local RS had a pretty good selection of basic parts (2n2222's
resistors, tools, caps, etc) until last fall when they just decided, for
no apparent reason, to stop carrying them. They lost my business. Now I
drive into Montreal to goto ABRA, much cheaper parts ($0.05 each for
capacitors), but the cost of gas makes it impractical to go for less
than $20 of parts.

Tweetldee wrote:
Well, I guess the death knell has sounded for the Shack as a source for
experimenter and hobbyist parts. I went into a relatively new store

(open
less than a year) today to get a few resistors that I need in a hurry.

What
did I find? Not a resistor, capacitor, transistor, IC, switch, fuse, or
anything that would be considered an electronic component was to be

found.
They had all kinds of TV coax, TV connectors, cell phones, home phones,
phone accessories, satellite TV equipment, expensive toys, and a few

stereo
"systems", but but not an electronic component in sight. They had wire,
solder, soldering irons, and such, but nothing to solder the wires to.

They
don't even carry the small project boxes any more.
They're looking more like the electronics section in WalMart every day.
Ooops, I take that back... the Shack's prices are 40-100% above what

you'll
pay for the same item at WalMart.

Adios Radio Shack !! RIP

--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

the
address)

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.

My local Radio Shack INCREASED the amount of parts they carried a couple of
months ago. They moved all the parts from the wall racks to a couple of
cabinets, but in the process, increased the number of different types they
stocked.