Old July 11th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dave[_18_] Dave[_18_] is offline

Default Portables versus Tabletops

3D wrote:
On Jul 10, 12:39 pm, Dave wrote:

I'm getting an amateur license later this month, so I'll be getting
something with 6-2-70cm and HF, probably for the Family Truckster.

Assuming you want one radio for HF, 2, 6 and 70cm there is only one
real choice...the Kenwood TS-2000. It is an outstanding radio offering
features in one box that no one else can match. Yes, you could get an
Icom 706 MK2G, but I would advise you to spend a few more dollars for
the 2000. The Kenwood does many things very well, but probably is not
the best at any of them. Mine is used for 2, 6 and 70cm, and for cross
band repeating when I can't be in the air chair. I use the 950sdx for
HF.

Best of luck with your license, and let me know if I can help you with
your new hobby. 73

3D

Thanks. I will look into the Kenwood.

Is it OK to use automated send/receive on the QRP CW bands? Is it even
possible to build something that doesn't generate a lot of spurious
emissions? Would it be easier to just learn code?