Old July 11th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default Recommendation for RF Prototype "Vector Board" with groundplaneneeded

On Jul 10, 9:31 pm, RFI-EMI-GUY wrote:
Recommendation for RF Prototype "Vector Board" with groundplane needed

I am looking to prototype a couple of small boards containing LINX
TXM-433 LC and LR transmitter modules. These have pads on 0.1" centers
and thus will match the Vector board strips that I am familiar with.
However for this application, I need a ground plane under the module,
and so am looking for a "vector" board with strips, but without plated
through holes and ideally a solid ground plane on the reverse side. I
would prefer plated traces and fiberglass insulation.

These will be simple boards, a TXM-433-LC, a couple of 555 timers and
some discrete components.

Any recommendations?

Three or four ideas:
o Get what you want made by one of the proto shops. Two-sided boards
aren't outrageous.
o Use a piece of unetched board stock and glue strips with 0.1"-
spaced pads onto it. (Seems like I've seen some places selling strips
like that, maybe even with contact adhesive already on the backs.)
o Etch your own. This is close to trivial if you're already set up
for it, but since you're asking, you probably aren't, so it may not
make much sense.
o Quite useful if there aren't too many pads involved: start with
double-sided copper-clad. Score one side as needed with a utility or
XActo knife, and pull up the unwanted copper. I do this occasionally
for SOIC parts, 0.05" lead spacing; it's very quick for small hacks.

Cheers,
Tom