Old July 11th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Cato Cato is offline

Default Portables versus Tabletops

On Jul 10, 3:39*pm, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:31:07 -0700, plimmer wrote:
Everyone in this group owns a portable, some many portables. Fewer in
the group own tabletops and even fewer serious tabletops. Most of you
are just content to listen to the more powerful stations on the AM
shortwave band. A very few are serious DXer's who chase those very faint
far off stations at the limit of audibility.

I have an R8B that I keep in my office and use it when Ace reports Diego
Garcia or a pirate; otherwise it gathers dust.

I have an R75 bedside I use to listen to Mark Levin and Michael Savage
on, while drifting off.

I have an SW2 and an HF-150 in storage, waiting for the return of
sunspots. *When that happens, I'll have everything blazing on the Coast
Guard and the USAF, maybe some DEA Atlas type stuff.

I'm getting an amateur license later this month, so I'll be getting
something with 6-2-70cm and HF, probably for the Family Truckster.

My portables are used as portables. *An E10 and an RFB40 in the
bathrooms, an ATS606A in the backpack, an SG622 for the yard, and a
Yachtboy 300 for backup (terrible audio).

I don't have big expensive tabletop receivers... but I use my
Panasonic RF2200 as a tabletop.... it is really too big to call a
portable in my opinion... but I guess it is since it also uses
batteries if you wish, so I guess many people would consider it a
portable. I won;t argue.. It is portable... but I wouldn't toss it
into a backpack... just too much radio for that.
Portables for me are my Eton E5 (Grundig G5), Sony ICF 7600D (ICF
2002), Kaito KA1102, Eton E100, Kaito KA11
With a Degen fold up DE 31 MS active antenna and TG34 Active antenna
from tquchina on Ebay. Not as good as the Sony antenna... but...taking
the size and price into consideration... those antennas are
respectable performers in my opinion.
Cato