Old July 11th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.swap

Default FYI, FWIW..the Grundig G5 SWL receiver

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Richie wrote:

I cannot understand why you changed the heading and not just start
your own posting to advertise this SS, modern receiver on the
Boatanchors forum?

Who knows why he replied to an existing message, but obviously he
had to change the subject header because whatever message he replied
to wouldn't have been about this receiver.

He must be clueless, since he posted it to
rec.radio.amateur.equipment
rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
rec.radio.swap
rec.radio.amateur.equipment
none of which really have relevance.

..equipment is about amateur radio equipment, and this isn't.

..boatanchors is about old and heavey equipment, and this isn't.

..swap is for buying and selling, and this isn't

I have no idea why he had .equipment twice in the newsgroup header.

And the one place where there is real relevance, rec.radio.shortwave
is missing.

And he seems to be saying it's a lousy receiver (all those birdies)
yet a good bargain.

Maybe he's saying that despite the digital readout it's about par
with all those low end junk shortwave receivers we had to put up
with forty years ago because it was all we could afford, even if
they were never appropriate for ham use with the ham bands taking up a
quarter inch or so each on the dial, and the backlash for the tuning
was so bad that you had to tune out of the band before you could tune
back in.

That Grundig Satellite 700 that I bought a month ago for 2.00 at
the Rotary Club sale was a great bargain, and at least it is halfway
old enough to be a boatanchor. All those years of going to rummage
and garage sales and never seeing a shortwave receiver, and this is
the second Grundig I've found (and bought) in three years. I wouldn't
really use it as a serious ham band receiver, but it sure beats a lot of
junk from the old days.

Michael VE2BVW