Old July 11th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
TF3KX TF3KX is offline

Default Software for measuring S/N and signal strength through soundcard?

On Jul 11, 6:04*pm, TF3KX wrote:
Is there any software available for measuring S/N and signal strength,
through the soundcard? *My idea is to analyze signals arriving from my
antenna, through the receiver and the soundcard, and thus compare
antennas numerically in terms of signal strength and noise.

This capability is already present for the most part in the Faros
beacon monitoring software, but it is tailored to monitoring only the
IARU/NCDXF beacon signals.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX

Just to clarify, I would use the HF receiver I already have, turn off
the AGC and then process the audio signal. The strength of the audio
signal would be proportional to the strength of the RF signal, and if
I can subract the noise level from the signal+noise level, I would
believe I should have a fair indication of the RF signal strength, at
least for comparison purposes.