Old July 11th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default IBiquity - Where's the "HD" in "HD" radio?

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
In the US, some frequencies have been protected by international treaty.

All AM frequencies are / were protected by NARBA, and FM is protected within
specified distances of the US border by Canada and Mexico in a mutual
agreement; Bahamas protects the NARBA AM assignments, but not FM.

So, protection IS afforded to international lengths. And has been for
decades.

NARBA was implemented in March of 1942. Many nearby countries, starting with
Cuba, do not observe it any longer, and ones like Haiti, the Caymans, etc.
never did.

An example is Salem Communications WIND. They turned off their IBOC
because it was interfering with local listening in Milwaukee of their own
facility there. [/quote]

No, they turned it off because the fringe listening to the 540 facility was
supposedly impacted. Since preaching and teaching depends on donations, this
seemed to be a factor to them... besides the fact that Salem does not put HD
on it's AMs.

So there's no misunderstanding, let me be clear...Salem turned off their
IBOC because their IBOC sidebands from the Chicago station were interfering
with Milwaukee listeners' ability to enjoy Salem's Milwaukee station.

No, they turned it off because the company does not support HD and the
Chicago HD was impacting 540 in its deep fringe areas. And I can see the
Salem engineering office from where I sit.