Old July 13th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default 2 phase AC to DC supply

On Jul 10, 9:09�pm, raypsi wrote:
I searched but couldn't find anything on:

There's a reason...

Using 2 transformers
�running the primary of one right off the mains
running the other transformer primary in series
�with a large motor run capacitor to phase shift
the primary 90 degrees.

You won't get 90 degrees phase shift because there's a resistive
component involved. And as the resistive component changes, the phase
shift will change,

Rectify and filter both secondaries

OK

Diode "OR" the rectified filtered outputs.

You don't need to do that, the rectifier circuits do it for you.

This would give me better than double the frequency

No, it wouldn't. At best it would give you double the ripple
frequency.

As the phase shift would overlap the
120 cycle pulsating DC.

At best, the pulses of the phase-shifted rectifier would be in the
valleys between the pulses of the non-phase-shifted rectifier. So
you'd get twice as many pulses - no more.

What you propose doesn't offer any real advantage over a conventional
single-phase supply. But it offers a lot of disadvantages such as
requiring more than twice as many parts. The phase-shifted supply will
have poor regulation and won't carry its share of the load.

Basicly I have 2 Eico 751 power supplies.
I like to beef up the supply to my Eico 753.

The best way to do that is to replace the old diodes and filter caps
with modern ones. The 751 power supply is more than adequate to power
the 753 if it's in good shape.

If your Eico 753 drifts, it's not the power supply. They all drift, so
much so that they became known as the "Seven-Drifty-Three" in their
time.

Another option if you can't leave well enough alone is to interconnect
the power supplies so that one supply runs the low B+, bias and
heaters, while the other one provides just the high B+

As K7ITM says, run some simulations and you'll see the reality.

73 de Jim, N2EY.