Old July 13th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
[email protected] jimmie68@gmail.com is offline

Default Power supply

wrote:
I have a 12volt home made power supply similar to Astron models. I was
told it could handle 30A. The pass transistors are missing and I have
some 50 amp NPN darlington transistors on hand I was considering using
for replacements. Can you think of any reason these could/should not
be used.

Jimmie

Ok, I went through the amp and it is a cheap made piece of junk
probably made to power a CB amp. No over current/vpoltage protection
except fuses on both the input an output. It does have a few things
going for it. The power transformer is truly massive. I dont doubt it
would do 50 amps intermittently. The computer grade capacitors are
120,000uf total. The rectifiers were a couple of 25 amp bridges
paralelled. I got rid of that and replaced thm with some leadless
rectifiers that came out of some old telco equipment. I think they
were part of a 200 amp bridge.

The main problem I have with it is the output transistors get hot,
they are well heatsinked. The voltage on the collector of the pass
transistors are 22volts. I think this is a little high. Is there a
good way to bring this down. The transformer doesnt have any taps. I
can put a big VARIAC on the front of of it to get it down but this is
not my first choice. I think I remember that Sorenson used to make a
power supply that used an SCR or TRIAC circuit on the primary side of
the transformer as the control element of their regulator.

Any ideas on how to make this a useful device would be appreciated

Jimmie