Old July 14th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Billy Burpelson[_2_] Billy Burpelson[_2_] is offline

Default On-the-Radio : The Picken's Plan - How We Can Reduce Our Dependenceon Foreign Oil ?

Bob wrote:

The other concern is the losses in the grid distribution. We use oil
based fuels to generate electricity at a conversion loss...

True...no one has repealed the laws of thermodynamics. But please
realize that *nothing* is lossless. The point I was trying to emphasize
about electric vehicles is that you are centralizing pollution control
at a (relatively) few power plants rather than over millions of cars
with IC engines.

...and then lose more in line losses.

Not as much as you might think, at least not since AC won out over DC
transmission around the turn of the last century (Bless you Mr. Tesla,
Mr. Westinghouse). Power is sent at extremely high voltages (so lower
current) to minimize the I squared R (power) loss. And once again, the
whole point is centralization, acceptable losses notwithstanding.

It seems that the politicians and environmentalists aren't too
interested in other scientific input.

Bob, you don't know how right you are. The current Administration has
been notorious for ignoring science.